Sunday, December 8, 2013

Right This Second // What I Wore

{dress//local boutique :: cardigan//thrifted :: necklace//vintage :: boots//local boutique :: bag//Emma Fox via TJ Maxx :: lipstick//Rimmel London Kate Moss in 104} 
Sometimes I feel like I have nothing to say whenever I sit down at the computer to write a post. This time, however, that is far from being a problem.

My family spent this weekend in Springfield IL for my dad's family's annual Christmas party. We had a fun weekend and ate way too much food and left early this afternoon to head home. It was starting to snow a little, but it was blowing off the roads like no big deal. I came down before my parents, so I was driving my little Volkswagen Jeta with my 17 year old sister Maddie while the rest of my family drove in my mom's mini-van. Maddie and I accidentally took the wrong exit and had to turn around so we ended up about 10-15 miles behind my parents.

Now, if you've never been to Illinois let me explain something before I go further in the story: there is a reason Illinois is called "the Prairie State." It. Is. Flat. The edges tend to be more hilly/have more trees, but central Illinois is one giant, flat corn field, and you can see for miles. Maddie and I were driving across such a stretch when a big gust of wind blew my little car off course. I turned the steering wheel to put the car back squarely in the lane, and the car slipped on an invisible patch of ice on the road, spun way into the right lane, and I lost all control. I have a vague memory of trying to point the wheels toward the ditch, (but to be honest my memory of the whole event is really hazy and I couldn't even remember what caused us to spin out of control for several minutes after everything was done) and stepping hard on the brake, but mostly I just remember praying "oh God help us!" and "omgsh I am living Jesus Take the Wheel." Yes, that is where my mind goes. LOL. My little sister was in the car and I was honestly more scared for her sake than I was for myself.

We spun completely around at least twice but I think it was three times before stopping in the middle of the ditch between the two directions of traffic. I looked at Maddie and honestly couldn't believe we were both completely unharmed. The airbags didn't even go off.

Maddie called my parents who came back, checked out the car and walked be through getting it back on the road. We pulled off at the next exit where my dad took a better look at the car, and decided that roads were too bad to even attempt going back to my grandmother's house, so we drove five miles north to a hotel in Bloomington, IL, where I'm currently sitting, writing this.

All-in-all the most terrifying day of my life.

On a happier note this dress is what I wore to the Christmas party but on a different day. It didn't look like much on the hanger, but I love how it looks on, and the color is so pretty. A very fitting Christmas dress, I think. 


 Post title // Right This Second by Deadmou5 

No comments:

Post a Comment